Observe: This text’s statistics come from third-party sources and don’t symbolize the opinions of this web site.
Ohio has a inhabitants of just below 12 million folks residing in roughly 4.7 million households. Its largest cities are Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati. Roughly 62% of households in Ohio personal pets, which is barely decrease than the 67% nationwide possession charge. Canines are the preferred pets, as is true of the overwhelming majority of states, with round 38% of Ohio households proudly owning not less than one canine whereas 29% personal not less than one cat. House owners spend practically $2,000 a yr on cats and canines, which excludes the price of emergency remedies.
Relating to particular person pets, Labrador Retrievers, German Shepherds, and Golden Retrievers are the preferred canine breeds whereas the Sphynx is the preferred cat breed.
The 19 Pet Possession Statistics In Ohio
- 67% of U.S. households preserve pets.
- People personal 65 million canines and 47 million cats.
- 45% of U.S. households preserve canines, in comparison with 29% that personal cats.
- 62% of Ohio households preserve pets.
- There are roughly 250,000 horses in Ohio.
- 126,000 cats and canines enter Ohio rescue shelters yearly.
- 38% of Ohio properties personal canines.
- The typical canine proprietor in Ohio owns 1.7 canines.
- Labrador Retrievers, German Shepherds, and Golden Retrievers are the preferred canine breeds.
- The French Bulldog and German Shepherd are the preferred breeds in Columbus.
- The Bulldog is essentially the most extensively researched canine breed within the state.
- It prices roughly $1,900 a yr to maintain a canine in Ohio.
- 3% of Ohio canine homeowners have damaged up with an ex as a result of they didn’t get on with their canine.
- 12% of canine homeowners within the state have moved to a much bigger place to offer their canine yard entry.
- 7% of canine homeowners modified jobs as a result of their new employer was extra dog-friendly.
- 31% of households in Ohio personal not less than one cat.
- The typical Ohio cat proprietor retains 1.9 cats.
- The Sphynx is the preferred cat breed within the state.
- It prices $1,800 a yr, on common, to maintain a cat in Ohio.
US Pet Possession Statistics
1. 67% of U.S. households preserve pets.
The U.S. is a nation of animal lovers with two-thirds of all American households proudly owning not less than one pet. This determine consists of all pet sorts. Canines and cats are the preferred, when it comes to the full quantity saved, however different standard pets embrace small mammals like hamsters; exotics like snakes and lizards; and birds and fish. The quantity has risen dramatically over the previous 35 years, with simply 56% of households proudly owning pets in 1988.
2. People personal 65 million canines and 47 million cats.
Canines and cats are the preferred pets within the U.S. as they’re the world over. People personal 65 million canines and 47 million cats. Fish are the subsequent hottest pet, and there are 11.1 million pet fish. This consists of indoor and outside fish. Millennials make up one-third of pet homeowners, making them the most important pet-owning era.
3. 45% of U.S. households preserve canines, in comparison with 29% that personal cats.
Canines and cats are by far the preferred sort of pets within the U.S. with 45% of households proudly owning canines and 29% proudly owning cats. Taking a look at canine homeowners, 42% acquired their canines from a pet retailer, 38% acquired their pets from a rescue or shelter, and the rest acquired their canines from breeders or family and friends. The figures are related for cats, too, with 43% coming from shops, 40% from rescues, and the remainder from family and friends or breeders.
4. 62% of Ohio households preserve pets
Whereas 67% of American households preserve pets, Ohio’s figures are barely under this. 62% preserve pets, with these figures together with canines, cats, and different pet sorts.
5. There are roughly 250,000 horses in Ohio.
In addition to canines, cats, and fish, Ohio does have a big inhabitants of horses, a lot of that are thought-about pets. There are round 1 / 4 of one million horses within the state, though this determine has dropped considerably from practically 310,000 in 2003. This implies there was a 16% decline in horse possession within the state.
6. 126,000 cats and canines enter Ohio rescue shelters yearly.
Whereas the overwhelming majority of pets are beloved and cared for, this sadly isn’t true of all companion animals. Greater than 125,000 cats and canines enter shelters yearly. Whereas many of those do get rehomed, and discover their perpetually properties, sadly simply over 3,400 are euthanized annually as a result of properties can’t be discovered for them. There are requires Ohio, and different states, to be no-kill states by 2025, however it’s going to take work to achieve this goal.
Canine Possession Statistics
7. 38% of Ohio properties personal canines.
Canines are the preferred sort of pet within the state; practically 4 in 10 households personal not less than one canine. This quantity is decrease than a variety of states. Montana and Arkansas have the very best canine possession charges with 59% of households in these states proudly owning not less than one canine. New Hampshire and Connecticut’s 24% canine possession charges make them the states with the bottom canine possession charges.
8. The typical canine proprietor in Ohio owns 1.7 canines.
(World Inhabitants Evaluation)
The standard canine proprietor in Ohio owns a mean of 1.7 canines. In Mississippi and Montana, the common proprietor has 2.1 canines, which is the very best charge of any state. The bottom charges are seen in Vermont, New Jersey, and South Dakota the place the common proprietor has simply 1.3 canines.
9. Labrador Retrievers, German Shepherds, and Golden Retrievers are the preferred canine breeds.
The French Bulldog has change into the preferred breed within the U.S., taking the Labrador Retriever’s 31-year reign. Nevertheless, in Ohio, the Labrador Retriever stays the preferred breed with the German Shepherd and the Golden Retriever being the second and third hottest breeds respectively.
10. The French Bulldog and German Shepherd are the preferred breeds in Columbus.
In Columbus, which is the state’s most populous metropolis, the French Bulldog is the preferred breed. The Frenchie is a small breed, which implies it takes effectively to life in an house which makes it a preferred breed in populous cities. The German Shepherd is the second hottest breed in Columbus.
11. The Bulldog is essentially the most extensively researched canine breed within the state.
Whereas the Golden Retriever is the preferred canine within the state, in keeping with registration figures, the Bulldog is the one which garners essentially the most curiosity from potential homeowners because it has the very best Google search charges in Ohio.
12. It prices roughly $1,900 a yr to maintain a canine in Ohio.
There are a variety of completely different prices related to proudly owning and maintaining canines from the precise value of shopping for the canine to the continued value of shopping for meals and treats. On common, canine homeowners in Ohio pay $1,900 a yr to care for his or her pets. This makes Ohio one of the costly states to personal a canine, though New York, the place it prices $2,010 each year, remains to be the costliest.
13. 3% of Ohio canine homeowners have damaged up with an ex as a result of they didn’t get on with their canine.
Canines actually are handled as a part of the household by most homeowners, and in keeping with one survey, 3% of householders in Ohio have damaged up with a accomplice as a result of they didn’t get together with the proprietor’s canine.
14. 12% of canine homeowners within the state have moved to a much bigger place to offer their canine yard entry.
Greater than 1 in 10 canine homeowners within the state stated they’ve even moved from an house to a home in order that their canines would have entry to a yard or backyard. Though it’s potential to maintain a cheerful and wholesome canine in an house, some breeds do profit from having their very own outside area to allow them to take pleasure in time exterior and further train.
15. 7% of canine homeowners modified jobs as a result of their new employer was extra dog-friendly.
Canines additionally have an effect on folks’s work. Leaving a canine at dwelling all day can result in separation anxiousness which can result in harmful chewing and different undesirable behaviors. It could possibly additionally trigger anxiousness and melancholy in some canines, with standard breeds like Labradors and Retrievers being considerably susceptible to those issues. 7% of Ohioans report they’ve modified jobs as a result of a brand new employer supplied extra dog-friendly working situations with some even permitting workers to take their canines to work.
Cat Possession Statistics
16. 31% of households in Ohio personal not less than one cat.
Whereas canines are extra standard than cats in Ohio, nonetheless greater than 3 in 10 households personal not less than one cat. Rhode Island has the bottom cat possession charges with simply 17% of households within the state proudly owning a number of cats.
17. The typical Ohio cat proprietor retains 1.9 cats.
(World Inhabitants Evaluation)
Whereas North Dakota cat homeowners preserve a mean of two.8 cats, Ohioans personal 1.9 cats which is significantly greater than the 1.3 cats per cat proprietor in Vermont.
18. The Sphynx is the preferred cat breed within the state.
Relating to the preferred cat breeds, the Sphynx reigns supreme in Ohio. The Sphynx is a hairless cat breed with wrinkled pores and skin and a really recognizable look. It’s a very affectionate breed that often likes to cuddle and spend time with its homeowners. The breed is usually also called Canadian Sphynx or Canadian Hairless.
19. It prices $1,800 a yr, on common, to maintain a cat in Ohio.
The price of caring for a cat in Ohio is nearly as excessive as the price of proudly owning a canine, and homeowners ought to anticipate to pay round $1,900 a yr for his or her pet feline. The prices are often larger within the first yr, due to the price of shopping for the cat within the first place and likewise as a result of there are some purchases, similar to beds and bowls, that you simply gained’t want to interchange not less than for just a few years.
Steadily Requested Questions About Pet Possession In Ohio
What number of cats and canines can Ohioans personal?
No statewide legal guidelines are discerning the variety of canines or cats you could personal, however you do want to make sure you could correctly look after any animals you personal. This implies ensuring that you’ve the cash or insurance coverage to cowl vet payments and to feed your pets correctly, however it additionally signifies that your cats or canines shouldn’t be residing in poor situations. Some cities, neighborhoods, and buildings might have particular rules governing the variety of pets you may preserve.
Are any canine breeds banned in Ohio?
Ohio now not bans particular breeds, however they do have harmful canine legal guidelines designed to forestall canines from attacking folks or different animals. Additionally, some cities might have their very own legal guidelines concerning the banning of sure breeds, and homeowners are suggested to all the time verify metropolis statutes earlier than getting any breed of canine.
Do canines want licenses in Ohio?
Canines over the age of three months should be licensed in keeping with Ohio state legislation. The canine ought to put on a license tag which not solely signifies that it meets authorized necessities however may help in guaranteeing a canine is returned to its rightful proprietor within the occasion of it escaping or getting misplaced.
Do homeowners have to have pet insurance coverage?
Pet insurance coverage shouldn’t be a authorized requirement however it may assist meet the sudden prices in case your pet will get ailing unexpectedly or is concerned in an accident. Pet insurance coverage is mostly out there for canines and cats however it’s potential to search out insurance policies for different varieties of pets, too.
Having pets can enhance the bodily and psychological well being of their homeowners. Canines and cats are the preferred pet species throughout the U.S. and that is equally true in Ohio, the place 38% of households personal canines and 29% personal cats. Nevertheless, Ohio’s possession charges are barely under the U.S. common charges.
Featured Picture Credit score: Gerain0812, Shutterstock